October 16, 2018
Joe Lucas is a native of Charlotte, North Carolina and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1985 and from Duke University School of Law in 1988. Mr. Lucas serves as managing member of the firm.
Mr. Lucas has concentrated his practice in the areas of public finance and banking since 1991, with a particular focus on representation of underwriters, credit and liquidity providers, local governments and non-profit institutions in general obligation and revenue bond financings, health care and education facilities financings, industrial and economic development financings, and installment purchase financings. He also represents lenders and borrowers in secured and unsecured lending transactions.
Each year since 2005, Mr. Lucas has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Public Finance Law. Mr. Lucas opened the firm’s Charlotte, North Carolina office in January, 2010 and divides his time between North Carolina and South Carolina. He was admitted to practice in North Carolina in 1988 and in South Carolina in 2011. Prior to joining Pope Flynn, Mr. Lucas was a partner at McGuireWoods LLP from 2003-2010 and Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein LLP from 1996-2003.
Recent engagements include serving as underwriter’s counsel for the first and bond counsel for the second assessment backed bond issue in North Carolina, serving as bond counsel in the restructuring of a regional hospital’s debt, serving as underwriter’s counsel for multiple limited obligation bond issues by a large North Carolina municipality, serving as bond counsel for a transformative public-private partnership redevelopment in South Carolina, serving as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel and issuer’s counsel on multiple charter school financings in South Carolina, and serving as special finance counsel to developers of major multi-use public-private projects outside of Charleston, South Carolina and in the Triangle area of North Carolina.
- Bond Counsel, $10,000,000 South Carolina City Installment Purchase Revenue Bonds, Series 2015
- Bank Counsel, $66,710,000 Water and Sewer System Refunding Revenue Bonds, Series 2012
- Underwriter’s Counsel, $28,110,000 Higher Education Refunding Revenue Bonds, Series 2012
- Bank Counsel, $60,645,000 Hospital Refunding Revenue Bonds, Series 2008C (2012 Reissuance)
- Bank Counsel, $46,180,000 Hospital Refunding Revenue Bond, Series 2011A and 2011B
- Underwriter’s Counsel, $15,700,000 Solid Waste Disposal Facility Revenue Bonds, Series 2012
- Bank Counsel, $137,500,000 Hospital Improvement Revenue Bonds, Series 2010B and 2010D
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Fellow, American College of Bond Counsel
- The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law, 2005-2019
- Best Lawyers® 2015 Public Finance "Lawyer of the Year” in Charlotte
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- North Carolina State Bar
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- South Carolina Bar
- Municipal Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Association of Counties
- South Carolina Special Purpose Districts Association
CIVIC ACTIVITIES AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Vice President, Executive Committee, Mary Duke Biddle Trent Semans Foundation
- Director, The Josiah Charles Trent Memorial Endowment Fund at Duke University
- Director 2014; President 2003-2012; Executive Committee 2003-2013, Myers Park Trinity Little League, Inc.
- Former Board Member of Wing Haven Foundation and Prevent Blindness North Carolina