March 20, 2018
Mr. Musser’s practice principally encompasses public finance and governmental counsel matters, and he regularly serves as bond counsel, as well as underwriter’s, bank, issuer’s, and corporate and securities counsel within an array of disciplines including hospital, airport, higher education, electric and other utility, non-profit and government sectors. He also has extensive experience with corporate, securities, and banking law matters for publicly-traded and private companies.
Significant transactions include serving as bond counsel on multiple public market financings for three major South Carolina airports, bond counsel for several major South Carolina hospitals, bond counsel for the financing of the Myrtle Beach boardwalk and a municipally-owned convention hotel, bond counsel on solid waste disposal and landfill facility financings, and bond, development and procurement counsel in connection with the publicly-offered tax-exempt financing for and redevelopment of a historic facility for use by a higher education institution. He was also bond and development counsel for a $140 million mixed-use retail and residential development, the infrastructure for which was financed with two series of tax-exempt bonds.
His underwriter’s counsel experience includes financings for several major South Carolina hospitals, airport revenue bond offerings, and utility bond financings. He also served as bank counsel for the financing of a $40 million tax-exempt fly ash remediation facility and for various issues of tax-exempt hospital revenue bonds. In the area of corporate finance, he served as borrower’s counsel in connection with $2.0 billion aggregate amount of revolving credit facilities for a single client group and as corporate and securities counsel for more than $6 billion in aggregate amount of publicly-offered securities issued by an investor-owned electric utility.
In 2014, he received “Lawyer of the Year” recognition from Best Lawyers® for public finance in Columbia; he has received Best Lawyers recognition since 2007 in public finance law, corporate law, and mergers & acquisitions law. Musser is also recognized by Chambers USA as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers” in Business law and in Corporate/M&A: Banking and Finance. Musser is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL) and serves on NABL’s Securities Law and Disclosure Committee. He has also served on the Carolinas Municipal Council Advisory Board.
Bill Musser grew up in Arlington, VA, where he attended Yorktown High School and played both baseball and basketball. Bill was drafted by the Cleveland Indians out of high school in the 22nd round of the baseball free agent draft, but opted to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on a baseball scholarship. In his freshman year, the UNC team went to the World Series and placed third. At Chapel Hill, he graduated with a bachelor of arts with majors in history and chemistry. He attended law and graduate school at Wake Forest University where he received both his law and his master’s in business administration degrees.
He was admitted to practice in South Carolina in 1985. Prior to joining Pope Flynn, Bill was a shareholder in the Columbia office of McNair Law Firm, P.A., where he worked for 32 years. He is resident in both the Columbia and Charleston offices of Pope Flynn.
- Bond Counsel on airport revenue bond financings for three major South Carolina airports
- Bond Counsel on hospital revenue bond financings for several major South Carolina hospitals
- Bond Counsel, $43,280,000 Municipal Tax Increment Revenue Refunding Bonds, Series 2016
- Bond Counsel, $61,915,000 Municipal Limited Obligation Bonds (Hospitality Fee Pledge), Series 2014
- Bond and Municipal Development Counsel, $140,000,000 Mixed-Use Retail and Residential Development
- Bank Counsel, $40,000,000 Tax-Exempt Industrial Revenue Bonds, Series 2014
- Borrower's Counsel, $2,000,000,000 aggregate principal amount of revolving credit facilities for a single client group
- Corporation Counsel, SEC-registered offerings and sales of common stock (including common stock sold on a forward delivery basis), medium term notes, first mortgage bonds, trust preferred securities and junior subordinated debentures
Awards and Achievements
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A: Banking and Finance -- South Carolina, 2003-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2007-2019
- Best Lawyers® 2014 Public Finance "Lawyer of the Year” in Columbia
- AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Securities Law and Disclosure Committee
- Former Member, Carolinas Municipal Council Advisory Board